Two signs that you need to call an electrician

There are quite a few minor electrical problems that don't require the attention of a professional tradesperson. However, if you should notice any of the following issues, you should get in touch with one of the electricians in your local area as soon as possible:

Sparking plug sockets

Sparks which appear when you plug an electrical device in or out of a plug socket can be indicative of a serious problem with your property's electrical system.

Oftentimes, sparks of this kind are the result of the insulation plastic which encases the electrical wires inside a socket melting away. Whilst this plastic is designed to be heat-resistant, it can still melt if too many devices are plugged into a single socket at once (by, for example, using a power-board), as overloading a socket in this manner tends to generate a huge amount of heat.

When this plastic melts, it leaves the metal wire inside it exposed; the contact between these exposed live wires and an electrical device is what causes the spark. Whilst a little spark might seem harmless, it can actually be quite dangerous; even a small spark can cause an electrical fire to break out. As such, it's important to have a qualified electrician address this problem as soon as you notice it.

A constantly-tripping circuit breaker

Almost everyone has experienced their home's circuit breaker tripping occasionally; this is usually caused by too many electrical gadgets being switched on at one time. If this only happens every once in a while, it is not something to worry about.

However, if you notice that your property's circuit breaker is tripping on a regular basis (i.e. several times a week), even when you're not using multiple electrical devices, then you may need to contact an electrician.

In this situation, the circuit breaker's tripping might be the result of a short circuit. Short circuits are commonplace in houses which have old wiring that has started to crack. This deterioration can lead to bare wires within the system touching one another which, in turn, creates a large amount of electrical current that causes the breaker to trip.

A short-circuiting system isn't just a nuisance. It can increase your risk of being electrocuted when you plug devices in and out of sockets, and may also result in an electrical fire occurring. Given this, if you wish to avoid injury and protect your home from damage, it is vital to have it repaired promptly by an electrician.