Going on holidays or taking the family on weekends away is something that we all look forward to. But returning home from your trip without any nasty surprises awaiting you can be just as important as the trip itself, which is why good home security is paramount.
Give yourself the peace of mind that comes from the knowledge that your home is always safe and secure before you go on holidays. By following these essential tips, you can ensure that your home is protected from theft whilst you are away for any extended period of time:
- Always remember to lock all external windows and doors before you leave, and never leave spare keys hidden anywhere outside. The garage or shed should be fitted with a padlock or key operated lock.
- Keep some lights on inside the house if you'll be staying away overnight, or have them turn on with automatic timers.
- Put together a list of important phone numbers that you can access quickly and easily, and store these in your phone.
- If possible, install and activate surveillance cameras. Let potential intruders know that your property is protected by a security system with signs or stickers.
- Any valuable or expensive items should be kept well out of view from where they can be seen, such as from an outside window. This includes laptops and monitors, sound systems, handbags, jewellery and cash. If possible, keep such items in a safe.
- Keep all windows clear of shrubbery. Have someone collect your mail, and make sure the lawn is kept mown.
- Never leave written messages or notes letting anyone know that you're going away.
The type of security locks and screens you have installed around your home can also go a long way in helping to keep your home safe from intruders.
- All accessible windows should be fitted with grille security screens, as well as key operated window locks.
- Externally hinged doors should have two cylinder deadlocks installed.
- Any external sliding door should have a lock or patio bolt installed.
- Good quality security screen doors will help keep your home safe. Hinged security doors allow fresh air into your home while providing views of the outdoors as they keep intruders out. Security sliding doors maximise usable space and are ideal for wider outdoor areas and patios. Security folding screen doors offer superior strength and durability; as with hinged types, these also allow air to flow without obstructing views.
To get your home equipped with security doors, contact companies like Southern Screen Scene.Share